Lately I’ve been wanting to simplify, declutter and organize our life and home, so with the new year upon us I decided to set some goals and make some changes!
image by Lizzie Mackay
Now that its officially December, that wonderful month when all the festive magic happens, a winter bucket list is a must! This month is probably one of my favourites, it’s also one of the busiest months of the year, but it’s always filled with so many fun activities, family and friends.
We got our family photos done in November by the talented Nicole Ostropolec of Nicole Leigh Photography. I had been following Nicole on Instagram and when she announced that she would be doing Tree Farm Mini’s I signed up right away, these photos would be perfect for our Christmas cards! I love getting family photos done, and especially with how fast Cici is changing I want to try and get photos done every year.
It all started with a cow print….
You know when you find a print that catches your eye and it’s totally not something you’d usually be drawn to, but you know it’d be perfect in that specific room, on that specific wall? Well that’s what this cow print did to me. As soon as I saw it I pictured it in our ensuite bathroom. So I brought that cow home, hung it up and loved it! As soon as I saw it hanging in the room I pictured all the other small changes and additions I would like to make to give this space a little more style. We hadn’t done anything to this bathroom since we moved in other than replace the light and the vanity hardware.
These protein packed bites are a staple in our house and are full of yummy goodness. They’re perfect for the whole family at home or when you’re on the go.
We love to eat around here, and we’re always looking for quick and easy snacks to make ahead of time, so they’re always in the fridge. This protein bite recipe is so simple and quick and NO bake – which is a huge bonus and time saver. Let’s be honest, if it’s time consuming and a pain in the butt to make, we ain’t makin’ it! Even Cici loves to help me, she’s my official taste tester
Hey guys! I’m so excited to do my first fall home tour! I’ve been on a mission to declutter and organize our home lately and that includes holiday decor too. I want to try and minimize all the “stuff” we have…what’s that saying “a place for everything, and everything in its place”. I just find we collect things so quickly and I want to try and make a conscious effort not to buy things we don’t need or have a place for. Totally off topic but I do a lot of thrifting already but I want to try and make that my go to spot to look first for home decor and stuff for Cici. We have found so many great toys, clothes and home decor in great condition and at a great price, I love the idea of recycling – somebody else’s trash could definitely be my treasure!
I’ve been going through my holiday decor and slowly getting rid of things that I’ve held onto for years and never used. If it was still in good condition or worth some money I’ve been posting things for sale on our local Buy and Sell and making a little extra cash.
I wanted to try and just have hints of fall/halloween decor throughout the house (mostly in the main living space) and nothing too loud or over done.
We’re officially in the month of Halloween…hello October! We’ve checked off a few things from our Fall bucket list, and we’ll be able to do more now that Steele is officially done ball season Thumbs up to more time to cozy up on the weekends and binge on Halloween movies…yay! There’s nothing quite like settling down to watch a festive movie on a cool night, with some yummy treats and your favourite guy. Steele is usually the one that picks the movie (I don’t know what it is but I just hate picking, anybody else like that?) so I’m really going to impress him when I give him a list of 20 to choose from. I’m actually not a scary movie fan so most of the movies listed are kids movies, other than a few exceptions for when I’m feeling brave. Enjoy!
Things are starting to look more festive around the Lewis house, especially Cici’s book shelves. I love collecting books for every holiday and now that we have Cici’s book nook, it’s the perfect way to display our favourites! I’ve had fun looking for books that C will enjoy now and when she’s a little bit older, here are our festive picks for Fall + Halloween.
Buying clothes for babies and kids is always fun but it can get expensive. We were so lucky that my sister-in-law gave us totes of great clothes for Cici, and continues to send us home with bags as her daughter grows out of things.
Over the past year as Cici has grown into and out of the clothes we bought and were given, I’ve realized a few things:
1. She didn’t wear half the clothes. So her drawers and closet were full, but I’d always grab the same pieces, so having to dig through the other stuff wasted time.
2. Let’s be honest, if we weren’t leaving the house why put her in an uncomfortable outfit, I mean it’s not really fair if I’m still in my pj’s – cute onesies, leggings and sleepers for the win!
3. I want to simplify her wardrobe, if you know me I’m pretty basic and slightly boring when it comes to clothes and design. I like simple and plain for the most part. I’ve decided I want to sort of apply that to Cici’s clothes, so basically a capsule wardrobe for a toddler .
4. Quality over Quantity – maybe it’s because she’s still young and isn’t hard on her clothes, but I’ve realized that I’d much rather purchase a few quality pieces rather than a whole bunch of cheap pieces, that end up shrinking and fading after the first wash. Don’t get me wrong I love a good sale and I’ll still buy fun pieces but just not as many. I’ll also be more selective and only buy things that I LOVE. I will also think about it coordinating with other items so we can get more wear out of it.
Hello September! We’re so close to fall officially arriving, we had a small taste of cooler weather before things decided to get hot and steamy again – and those crisp cool days got me so excited for pumpkins, cozy sweaters, changing leaves and all the other fun things that fall brings! I’ve started pulling out some of the decorations so stay tuned for a little fall home tour soon!
The past week or so I’ve been thinking about all the things I want to do this Fall so I wanted to write them down and make an official fall bucket list. This year will be totally different and so, so exciting now that Cici is older and is walking/running everywhere and loves to explore!
- Apple picking at one of our favourite local apple orchards – Thiessen’s has a lot of great activities for kids so there’s lots to do besides pick apples – we’ve already been once but are planning on going back!
- Make a trip to a pumpkin patch or two
- Carve pumpkins!
- Go on a weekend getaway somewhere not too far (if you have any suggestions let me know!)
- Make some festive baked goods – definitely some Halloween cookies
- Have a scary movie night with yummy snacks! But nothing too scary….
- Decorate the front porch with pumpkins + mums
- Come up with and make family Halloween costumes
- Go on a hike/walk somewhere scenic to see all the Fall colours
- Get some new essential oils to make some fall blends! I’m new to the oil world and currently only have lavender, orange, grapefruit, key lime and a sleep blend. I would love to get some clove, cinnamon, nutmeg – anything that smells like pumpkin pie