We’re only a couple days away from Valentine’s day and all things heart-shaped are coming out in full force! Like most of the holidays, decorations and food seem to be the main focus and who can complain about that?
We kept the decorations simple this year with a gold glitter “xoxo” banner (DIY and so easy) and a felt ball garland from Wooly Sheep Dots. If you’re in the market for one of these she has a great selection and reasonable prices. Felt letter boards are everywhere right now and I picked one up at Home Sense for $14.99! These are great because you can switch up the quote or saying on them to suit any holiday, right now ours says “Hugs & Kisses”. The only other thing I always switch up are my kitchen hand towels, I think I have several for each holiday/season.
What are your go-to or favourite Valentine’s Day decorations?
Even though Cici is only 7 months old, she loves books and she’s building quite the book collection! Here are some Valentine’s themed books we’re reading and loving right now. These are all quick board books with the exception of The Love Pug. Board books are my favourite because they’re durable, easy to read, and for the most part short which keeps the attention of our little listener.
What are some of your favourite Valentine’s themed books?
I’d been dying to use our Love themed sprinkles, so we made some treats to share with family and friends! For those of you who love sweet + salty like me, these pretzel snacks are the perfect combo. We dipped pretzels in chocolate (we just used white chocolate chips) and added some sprinkles, how easy is that?! These little treats look adorable and taste yummy too.
We have a lot of people in our family who are Celiac so we made some Gluten Free sugar cookies using our heart-shaped cookie cutters. Then we iced them with some soft pink icing and used our adorable sprinkles. We packaged our cookies into cute little plastic baggies we found at Dollarama. This gluten-free sugar cookie recipe is actually delicious. I might have to make another batch, the ones I didn’t package up disappeared quickly!
Chocolate dipped pretzels
1 cup white chocolate chips
2 tsp oil
- In small saucepan on low heat pour in oil and chocolate chips until melted and smooth.
- Dip half of the pretzel into the melted chocolate, place on parchment.
- Toss sprinkles on.
- Place in fridge to harden for at least 30 minutes.
Gluten Free Soft Sugar Cookie Recipe
1 cup shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large eggs, cold
1 tbsp vanilla extract
3 cups gluten-free flour (plus more for rolling out the dough)
1 tsp fine sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together shortening and sugar, until light and creamy, about 1-2 minutes. Mix in egg and vanilla extract.
- Add the flour and salt and mix on low-speed until completely incorporated. The dough should be slightly firm but still pliable.
- Divide dough in half, place one half on floured parchment paper. Cover with plastic wrap and roll out until about 1/4″ thick. Use desired cookie cutters. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Transfer to baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes. Cool cookies on baking sheet for a few minutes before cooling completely on cooling racks.
Wishing everyone a Happy Valentine’s Day with the ones you love!!! XOXO